Friday 16 September 2011

Super Sam Gets First Grand Slam Title in Flushing Meadows





World No. 10 Samantha Stosur of Australia destroyed Serena Williams in today’s US Open final on Arthurs Ashe Stadium.

Stosur is the first woman to win the US Open since Margaret Smith Court in 1973. No Aussie has won the US Championships since Lleyton Hewitt defeated Pete Sampras in the final 2001. Sammy reached the French Open final last year and lost to Italy’s Francesca Schiavone. The last woman to win a Grand Slam was Evonne Goolagong who won Wimbledon in 1980.

Serena Williams appeared stunned today when she was crushed by Stosur 6-2 6-3. Williams, who always seems to be one step ahead of all the other girls was missing her ability to step up a gear when needed. Stosur has beaten Serena twice before but who would think she would do it so easily in today’s final. Williams’ career Grand Slam finals record is now 13-4.

Stosur said it was one of the best matches she has played. The Australian had her first two match points at 6-2 5-3 and 15-40 on Williams serve. Stosur lost those and the stadium erupted hoping Serena would come back from there. Stosur wouldn’t let anything bother her today and she came back and won the next two points with two massive forehands to claim the title.

“I think I had one of my best days. It was fortunate to do it on this stage in New York, where I love to play. I’ve dreamt about this since I started playing and knew what a Grand Slam was. I really don’t know what to say,” the newly crowned US Open Champ said.

The Australian number one player also made sure she thanked her fans and her closest family, “From the messages I was getting, lots of people were getting up early and watching and so thanks everyone back home for supporting me. All my friends and all my family and everyone else, thanks so much for supporting me all the time, not just today, but forever.”

Serena said after her poor performance today, “I tried my hardest but she kept hitting winners. She played really well, really well. It’s disappointing to lose but I had fun. Sam is a great player and it’s good to see her win.”
Like This Blog's Posts? Get the Latest of It Directly from your Inbox for Free - Enjoy your Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...